The Blind and The Mute – Complete

KK has something to say:
This is a VERY, VERY, VERY short story that I came across while I was bored so I translated it on a whim. As it is only one chapter long and super short, I won’t be uploading it onto NovelUpdates.

Without further ado, enjoy! 🙂

Synopsis:
The blind loves blindly.
The mute loves silently.
Warning: Not a happy ending

Read THIS if you are new to my translations!

Silent Love

I fell in love with someone.
That person has the smell of sunshine coming from him.

He is the owner of a flower shop.
I bought a stalk of rose from him, and then I gifted it to him.
He didn’t say anything and just gently gave it back.

My fingertips touched his fingertips.
The bell rang. It signalled that it is ten o’clock.

I could only take the flower home and put it in the vase in the living room.

Mum saw the flower and was very happy.
But I know she cried.

Every morning at ten I would go to his flower shop, buy a stalk of rose and gift it to him.
Every time he would give it back without saying anything.

I was crazy about the smell coming from him.
Although we have never talked.
The best time of my day was when I went to buy flowers.
Though it was just a few short minutes.

One day, I told him. I said that I would be going to the hospital to be checked so I would not be able to come tomorrow.
He didn’t say anything.
What was I expecting?
He didn’t like to speak.

The doctor said that there were blood clots in my brain and that with surgery, I have a chance of seeing again.
The price was the possibility of losing my life.

I sat in the study for a whole night.

As usual, at ten o’clock the next morning, I went to his flower shop to buy a rose.
As usual, he gently gave it back to me and didn’t say a word.

My brother is managing the company well.
I am very at ease.

I stored the flower inside my medical files.
Then I boarded the ten o’clock flight to America.

*******

Three years later, I once again set foot onto this land.

The city had developed very rapidly.
High-rise buildings rose from the grounds.

At ten o’clock in the morning, I came to both a familiar yet unfamiliar place.

The flower shop had long closed down.
The people were gone.

Both the shop and that person was gone.

*******

Ten years later, my wife was cleaning out my medical files.
From inside, a sunflower fell out.

“Didn’t I buy roses?” I was surprised.
“No,” Mum replied, “It was always sunflowers.”

Sunflowers ————— Silent love.

<Table of Contents>

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

KK has something to say:
A very, very short story that leaves you with that slight feeling of regret and heartbreak. Don’t you just hate missed opportunities?

14 thoughts on “The Blind and The Mute – Complete

1. Ama 4th December 2019 / 5:22 am

Oh my god….

I’m reading this because I’m just too curious and then I feel my heart hurt 😭😭

Liked by 3 people

2. dabi gail 8th December 2019 / 9:56 am

So…the receiver didn’t accept cuz it is a ‘silent love’?

• KK 8th December 2019 / 12:55 pm

No, the receiver accepted the rose and gave him a sunflower back. Sunflowers meant ‘silent love’ so it was love that the mute couldn’t express. Unfortunately the blind didn’t know that he was given a sunflower back (and that his love was reciprocated) and just thought he was being rejected every time he tried to give him a rose.

Liked by 9 people

• dabi gail 10th December 2019 / 5:00 pm

OMG, that’s a huge misunderstanding. tqvm 4 explaining. now I can get the feels

3. dog food delivery 29th April 2020 / 10:50 pm

ah

hurts…

FML byE I NEED FLUFF

4. padam 22nd August 2020 / 4:53 pm

URKKKKK THIS MAKES MY GUT TWIST
    if only they somewhat knew!!!!!! I think mute guy know he’s blind, but blidn guy never knew he’s mute!!!!!! urghrhghg
    mute guy can’t just grab his hand and tell him you like him too???!?!!?!

Liked by 1 person

• ike00000 28th September 2020 / 2:10 pm

IKR BLIND GUY MAY NOT KNOW MUTE GUY IS MUTE BUT MUTE GUY KNOWS BLIND GUY IS BLIND!!!!!
      Plus shouldn’t mute guy be able to read lips??

and so I’m just imagining up some extravagant backstory where mute guy actually loved blind guy for a very very long time but didn’t want him to know because of status difference or something else and this was the only small way he was willing to let him know

• Pure and Righteous Flower of Evil 20th August 2021 / 6:01 am

So bittersweet. I love short stories that feel long not because there are a lot of words, but because my mind just keeps coming back to it.

• Pure and Righteous Flower of Evil 20th August 2021 / 6:02 am

sorry, that wasn’t supposed to be a reply

5. ike00000 28th September 2020 / 2:11 pm

confused because mute guy isn’t deaf…

6. Cosmically_Fiction 12th January 2021 / 3:39 am

Ahhhhh! The twist at the end!!! But at least he had moved on with his life and seems content…..
    Winder what happened to the mute guy…. hopefully he is living a content life too….
    Thanks for this nice story! ♥️

7. xxminoxx 23rd April 2021 / 2:17 pm

Oh…
    En estos momentos es donde odio ser curiosa 💔 joder esto me duele mucho

8. Hyprs 14th July 2021 / 2:41 am

I just hope the mute guy now having a happy life with someone he loves somewhere too.